So I've been talking a lot this week about the switch I am ultimately going to make from etsy to storenvy after the holidays. I've spend a crazy amount of time working on the storenvy storefront, customizing, etc & have actually taken the big step in adding items to the shop. The shop isn't live yet & that is where you come in:
Should I switch to storenvy now (before the holidays) or switch when I've planned to (after the holidays)?
Here's what I've been thinking, the pros & cons if you will:
- already a part of a growing handmade market place
- have been on etsy for years (people know where to find 516)
- already have a group of people that have favorited things
- popular place others search for handmade items & I'll show up in those searches
- already paid a butt load in listing fees + I am adding things for the holiday season
- don't really have to do too much promoting, etsy sort of does it (kind of)
- overtime, those fees add up (oh yeah they do)
- .etsy.com domain is more recognizable than .storenvy.com domain
- not customizable
- not even sure if this marketplace is helping me make sales
- seems to be doing better for blog designs than other things (jewelry & crocheted things)
- FREE (listing, no expiration, etc)
- ultimate customization
- chance to build a better, cohesive look
- fits in with the 516 brand
- can have multiple categories & put things in multiple categories - more organized
- grown up step for 516
- switching may be bad for holiday sales as I am moving, how will others know?
- do people search storenvy like they search etsy?
- how will I show up in google searches? Google is hardly ever in my stats on etsy anyway!
- would have to do more independent advertising
So I want to know from you: Do you think it's a smart move to just switch now (or soon) or should I hang on for a bit until after the holidays?
I also have more things I'd like to list on etsy for the holidays, but I'm not sure if it's worth it! gah, this is hard!
I do have a few more bugs to figure out that I may be able to figure out before September since I'd probably switch over then. I've also gotten some wonderful tips from yesterdays post that I can't wait to incorporate in the future!
For me, all things are pointing to waiting....especially if I am relying on these holiday sales. But if you were in my position...
What would you do?