Over the past year, blogging has become extremely important to me. I love this past time & I want to encourage others to be great bloggers as well. But I wanted to let you in on a little secret: I still struggle with blogging.
Every day something throws me for a loop & I wanted to let you know that not all bloggers are perfect, as I am sure you know! When I first started out blogging I'd compare myself to others rather than just enjoy blogging. I am so thankful that somewhere down the line I fell in love with blogging. Remember this quote from a while back?
Well this is how I feel about you all! I want you to be great bloggers. I want you to be great at whatever your heart desires & I am being oh so genuine! We are a big community here so I wanted to share with you what I struggle with.
1. image quality - I feel as the daughter of a photogrpher (peep my dad & my younger-brother-from-another-mother at JK Photography) I should be able to have awesomely shot photos on my blog. For the life of me my camera throws me for a loop every day I step in front of it (and sometimes when I'm behind it)! I do much better with my iPhone..horrible, I know! I struggle with making the pictures not blurry, etc. I also struggle with my love of camera apps. I strongly dislike blogs with overly edited photos & I really hope that I don't do that to you all too often! I like to curate my photos as if my blog were a magazine...but sometimes my iPhone gets the best of me.
2. Browser issues - Even though I've been designing my own layouts for my blog for ages, something always pops up where it doesn't translate well in some sort of browser. I am getting better at figuring things out but it still frustrates me. I've mastered all the problems presented to me so far for the designs in the shop but I love learning new things. Hitting a road block is something that is a part of learning.
3. outreach & promotion - I am addicted to Twitter & Instagram but I don't know if it's doing much for me. I am also on HelloCotton but don't really know how to participate in forums. I try to remember to do it, but I just go to the blog & leave a comment instead of following through the forum. HelloCotton is a bit more interactive than Bloglovin & I love that. But I still can't seem to operate it correctly. I also don't really know how to translate readership/following into sales. I love that I have likes & views on Etsy, but how do I translate that into sales?
4. identifying a target market - This sort of goes with the previous one. My target market is like me: they want unique items, are creative, have a fun aesthetic, love to enjoy, & are generally happy people.....at least I think that's my target market! I've struggled with which blogs to sponsor: identifying which blogs in my niche that will help me out & which blogs that are just outside the boundaries of my niche but still may draw traffic.
5. balance - Because I like to blog, it's not surprise that I'd do it 24/7 if I could. I love it! But keeping balance with life, laundry, & paying attention to Zach is hard. He's noticed sometimes when I am just waiting for something to be over so I can get back to something I have planned or need to work on. Knowing that I can't do everything in a day frustrates me. But I love putting time into Five Sixteenths & seeing the reward. Taking a step back is hard for me. I often make the excuse that I need to spend a lot of time on blogging so that I can eventually make it a part of my business. But a lot of the time I spend is unnecessary.
I am all about blogging honestly & I wanted to share with you the fact that the blogger here isn't perfect! I still struggle with loads of things on the blog & off. I would venture to say that even the most seemingly perfect blogs don't have perfect bloggers. In fact, I'd bet you five big ones that I am right!
So if you ever feel discouraged or like you don't know what you're doing...I like to think that we all don't know what we're doing & it's ok. I am so thankful that I have this opportunity to meet others & share with others about my life & my blog.
What do you struggle with in blogging? How do you overcome it?